Libertas London Candidates

These are your Libertas candidates for the London region:

Thursday 9 April 2009

Why I have become involved in politics

I recently heard someone describe two types of politicians.

Firstly, weather vanes. People who blow with the prevailing wind - in other words, those who espouse whatever the latest focus group says. In my view, these weather vanes are probably in the majority.

Secondly, there are signposts. People who very clearly point out a route forward, and only deviate from that route when convinced of a better alternative. It seems to me that politicians like this are in the minority. 

These are politicians with conviction. With conviction comes integrity. This I respect.

I have become involved in politics because I believe that the public deserves public servants with opinions - opinions that, regardless of whether you agree with them or not, are firmly held. Having the conviction to stick with opinions demonstrates an integrity which I think should be present in many more public servants than now.

The skill comes I think in knowing exactly when your own opinions should change. Having the integrity of your own conviction is one thing, but this needs always to be balanced by recognising and respecting the democratic process.


No comments:

Post a Comment